Ephesians 5:24-25 says, “Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.”
Usually verse 24 gets all the attention, but I pondered recently what it might mean for me to love my wife like Christ loved the church. Here are a few ideas that I came up with:
- Christ didn’t force our submission to him.
- Christ looked out for our best interests.
- Christ didn’t condemn us, despite our weaknesses.
- Christ went the ‘extra mile’ for us.
- Christ gave up his will for our best interests (Lk 22:42- “not my will…”)
Lastly, don’t forget verse 21!